How about the idea of sustainable fashion?

While most people are going about the fashion craze, has anybody have an idea on how many clothes are being thrown at the bin on an average per year? This calls for an awareness that when we're very conscious about our own personal fashion statement, what had we really contributed to the environment?

Most recently, Zara came under the spotlight. Inditex, the brand's parent company, pledged that all Zara clothes would be made from 100 percent sustainable fabrics by the year 2025, per the Guardian. Similarly, reports Retail Gazette, H&M has promised to ensure that all of its materials and products will be recycled or sustainably sourced by 2030.

 



According to the Business of Fashion, Zara releases around 500 new items every week. That churn — which doesn't look likely to change any time soon — is contributing to the 300,000 tonnes of clothing being chucked in the bin each year in the UK. Around 20 percent of this ends up in landfill with the remaining 80 percent incinerated, reports the Environmental Audit Committee.

Fact: Did you know that non-biodegradable clothes take about 20 to 200 years to finally biodegrade? These are manufactured synthetic textiles. Would it be better to donate the clothes instead of finding it in a landfill?

Arguably, it's not the way clothes are made that will make the industry green, but the willingness to change production numbers and seal an eco-friendly fate for garments.



It could be up to consumers to force the change. But the government must also do much more. It recently rejected every sustainable fashion recommendation offered by a group of MPs, including introducing a one penny clothing charge on items to encourage sustainability, mandatory environmental targets for major retailers, and a ban on burning or landfilling unsold designs. This doesn't reflect the public's changing attitude towards fast fashion.

(Full article can be found here)

You can find more urban collections here:

https://nationurbans.com/collections/all





Leave a comment